I’ve been eating an INSANE amount of Greek yogurt lately. Luckily, there’s a ton of ways you can dress up the plain stuff:
- Trader Joe’s honey sesame almonds
- fresh, frozen or dried fruit
- cereal — I love Kashi Go Lean Crunch, it doesn’t get soggy
- jam or jelly
- Flax and/or chia seeds
And so on. My new favorite way, however, takes a little more effort — it’s inspired by the crock pot apple-cinnamon oatmeal I make occasionally. (And PS if you’re not making oatmeal this way … particularly steel-cut oatmeal, which is better for you anyway … you’re seriously missing out. One batch lasts me all week.)
- I dice/chop/cut (depends on the laziness/awake level) 1/2 to 3/4 c apple (usually about a half of an apple, I eat the other half while cooking :3), and then saute it in a tiny smear of butter — about 1/4 T, if you want to get all measure-y. You just want enough to cook the apples in, you’re not frying these bad boys.
- I let them cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then I dump 1/4 c instant oats, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp brown sugar in and let it cook up. Once the apples are cooked but still al dente, I let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes, then mix up with about a cup of Greek yogurt. It’s like apple pie but not terrible for you 😉
Hope everyone reading is having a great week. For the first time in as long as I can remember, fiance and I are “meh” on the Superbowl, and so instead we’re going to see the Thunderbirds play hockey tomorrow night, and then planning to enjoy the predicted beautiful weather on Sunday and go golfing. I may have also bought Lego Lord of the Rings as a surprise, so that may also happen 😉
Currently loving: Some new favorite recipes! This baked artichoke chicken, winner of a contest on The Chew; this spinach/corn/black bean enchilada recipe, full disclosure: I used canned sauce; this Chipotle Spinach Dip recipe from the NYTimes, which is a “throw it in the food processor and hit ‘on'” recipe … incredible results.